Thursday, 11 December 2014

Art Eye: Son of Man, Magritte

Hi everyone, I am back with another art eye this week, and I have wanted to do something by Magritte for a long time, so I gave it a shot.

Magritte often depicts these men in his artwork, men in overcoats and bowler hats, in order to represent the mass public, who all look the same as each other. This conformity is shown in this painting. The mans face is covered by this apple, yet his eyes can be seen over the edge of the apple. To me, eyes are such an important facial feature, and whilst it may look like this man is hiding, he is still letting you see the most telling part of him. Magritte himself said:"At least it hides the face partly. Well, so you have the apparent face, the apple, hiding the visible but hidden, the face of the person. It's something that happens constantly. Everything we see hides another thing, we always want to see what is hidden by what we see. There is an interest in that which is hidden and which the visible does not show us. This interest can take the form of a quite intense feeling, a sort of conflict, one might say, between the visible that is hidden and the visible that is present." 

You can find out more about Magritte, and other artists from Artsy.net, which is a wonderful tool for researching and exploring art and artists : https://www.artsy.net/artist/rene-magritte

So onto the makeup! I think I actually remembered to write down my product list, so I actually have everything I used (in case you wanted to recreate it? haha). I also have a lot of picture for this particular one because I couldn't decide which ones to use as I liked them all. Right, so I started off with my foundation, Revlon Colorstay in 150 Buff, and then put on a little bit of Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer in 01 Fair, just to prime my lid, even though I then put come Clinique Lid Smoothies in 08 Seventh Heather on. I then used a Body Shop Colour Crush Eyeshadow in 515 Blue over you, as a wash on my eyelid, and defined my crease with a little bit of Rimmel's Eyeshadow in Serene. Taking the Nougat from the Sleek Au Naturel Palette, I recreated some cloud shapes, which don't really translate in this picture.
I then moved on to the hat. I used a Natural Collection Clear Mascara to flatten my eyebrows a little. I then took my Rimmel Exaggerate Black Liquid Liner and created a bowler hat above my brow. (It was at this point a delivery man came to the door, so I had to pull my hair over my face so it looked like I was going through a 'emo' stage). To create the band I used Barry M White Gel Eyeliner which I would not recommend because it clumps up, and is really dry, but it good as a base, because I then went over it with Nubuck from the Sleek Au Naturel Palette, and I also used Noir from the palette to make the black colour really strong on the bowler hat. 
I finished by doing the apple, which I was dreading, but actually turned out really well. I used the Sleek Garden of Eden Palette, (because it is lovely and mainly green eyeshadows). I used Adam's Apple on the main part, a started off by making a circle shape. I decided it needed to stand out a bit more, so I used a damp liner brush with Tree of Life and traced around the shape and the stem and leaves. I then blended it with a small crease brush on one side to add dimension. I filled in the leaves with Adam's Apple on the top half and Tree of Life on the bottom, and I also took Adam's Apple on my bottom lid in the centre and lined around it with Tree of Life again .I used the white Barry M Eyeliner as a little dot of highlight on the corner of the apple.  Finally I used the L'Oreal Volume Million Lashes So Couture Mascara (but forgot to curl my lashes because I am a bimbo, which is why they look so rubbish)
 






Sorry if that was a lot of writing! I am just so happy with how this turned out, I think that the apple just makes it look so good, and I am surprised that I didn't ruin the liner at the last minute. 
Thank you for slogging it through this rather long post, hope you all enjoyed, and feel free to leave a comment or question on here or any of my social media pages. Thank you!

HGx
P.S - Look out for more festive posts in the next couple of weeks.
P.P.S - Full list of products:
Revlon Colorstay in 150 Buff
Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer in 01 Fair
Clinique Lid Smoothies in 08 Seventh Heather
Body Shop Colour Crush Eyeshadow in 515 Blue over you
Rimmel's Eyeshadow in Serene
Sleek Au Naturel Palette - Nougat, Nubuck and Noir
Natural Collection Clear Mascara
Rimmel Exaggerate Black Liquid Liner
Barry M White Gel Eyeliner
Sleek Garden of Eden Palette - Adam’s Apple, Tree of Life
L’Oreal Volume Million Lashes So Couture Black

No comments:

Post a Comment