Tuesday, 7 October 2014

Art Eye: Madame de Pompadour at her Tambour Frame, François-Hubert Drouais

Hello everyone! I finally got round to doing my art eye this week, I really thought I wasn't going to have time to do it this week, but happily, here we are. So this week I am looking at one of my favourite paintings, not for a contextual or in depth reason, I simply like this painting aesthetically, which is as good as any reason to like a piece of art.


I have been to the National Gallery and seen this in real life, and it is very impressive, the fine detail that is put into the dress, especially the lace. This painting so skillful, which is why I like it so much. The interesting thing about this painting, is that the face was painted on a separate canvas and was painted in April 1763, and then inserted into the bigger picture when it was completed a year later in May 1764. This is the last painting ever done of Madame de Pompadour, a month before her death. Madame de Pompadour became the royal mistress of Louis XV in the last year of her life, and was a patron of the arts, and a leader of fashion. Because of this, I wanted to take the pattern of the dress from this art, to translate into makeup.

So, I started by touching up my skin base (foundation, concealer, eyebrows), because I had been at college all day. I then used a white gel liner to cover my entire lid, basically using it as a cream eyeshadow. I actually used talcum powder over the top, to set it. I then took a grey and black eyeshadow and blended it on the brow bone and below the lower lash line, just ti mimic the dark background on the painting. Using my face paints, I recreated the pattern of the dress on the lid of my eye, lining my eye with a white and green. I applied white eyeliner pencil in my waterline, and ran white powder under my eye. I finished by putting on a dark brown mascara.
















I really love the subtle look of this eye makeup, I have always been a big fan of a floral pattern and I am really proud that I got it looking okay. I probably would have liked to make it whiter than it is, but I am quite pale so it's hard to do. I really enjoyed this look, and I hope you will too. Like always, don't be afraid to comment suggestions or requests, and don't forgot to check out my social media pages (the buttons on the right of the screen will take you to my pages). Thank you!

HGx

No comments:

Post a Comment