Tuesday, 19 August 2014

Art Eye: Marilyn, Andy Warhol


Yet again, I am looking at another iconic piece of work, this time a screen print of Marilyn Monroe by Andy Warhol. Pop Art was such a big and iconic art era, and I have seen a lot of Liechtenstein make up re creations, but never one like this. Pop Art is one of those art era's that everyone looks at in art lessons at school. It started in the 1950's, and focuses on images from popular culture, like Marilyn Monroe, and often made them ironic or into parodies. Many famous Pop Artist included ,of course, Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein, David Hockney, and Jasper Johns. 
Andy Warhol was a leading artist of this movement. He would create his work using paint, by screen prints and mono-prints, and he also created film pieces. Andy Warhol has made some of the most iconic and recognisable work of recent times. I wouldn't say I am a massive fan of the Pop Art movement, but I think the impact it had was very impressive, and you can't deny it's popularity. 


Onto my makeup! So I wanted to make this look both like the art work and the person the work is portraying. Which meant I had to get some Marilyn in there. I went to research, and watched many a you tube tutorial. So, I started off by priming my lid, and then going over my upper lid with a white eyeliner pencil. This was so that when I put on the pink pigment, it would really turn up pink. I used a blush for the pink colour, and blended out the sides a little so it wasn't one chunk of colour. I then took the white pencil again, and drew out the flicked shape on my eyelid, again I did this so that the blue eyeshadow I put over it would really pop. I did the same thing with the yellow eyeshadow in my inner corner, and I took a little of the blush colour along my bottom lash line. 


I then went on to do the liner, and this is where I had to channel my inner Marilyn. Her liner is quite thin, but starts right in the inner corner. So I used a black liquid liner, because I am useless with a gel liner, to get this line and very thin flick. I then put on mascara, working my lashes more towards the outside corner than usual, in order to elongate the eye like Marilyn did. I did use a black kohl pencil on my waterline, but I stopped around a two thirds along, because in the piece of work there is no definition of the lower lid or inner corner. 






I totally think you could do this eye makeup for Halloween, but like completely cover your face in blush and put on a blond wig, and you would be a walking Marilyn screen print. And this makeup is easy to do because there is almost no blending involved, which means it doesn't take that long! I really liked doing this look, because I tend to stick to neutral colour on a day to day basis, even if I'm going out, and its fun to play around with such vivid colours. If you have any questions, or any requests for an art eye look, please comment below. Thank you!

HGx

No comments:

Post a Comment